70th Independence Day of Indonesia. Are we there yet?

17th August.
The Independence Day of Indonesia.
Merdeka!!!!

But my heart is broken and tears keep coming down my face.
Independence?
What is the real meaning of the word?
Are we trully independence now?
"We" here refers to the minority communities.
Minority in money.
Minority in education.
Minority in public facilities and services.
Minority in races.
Minority in religion believes.
Are we really independence nowadays, especially now as we celebrate our National Independence Day?

I even prefer to use english to pour out my words.
I even prefer to post on my blog while hoping this thought would not bring me to harm.
Why?
Because i am Afraid.
Perhaps, because i am not sure.

There are riots still happened almost every day in almost every part of the nation.
Whom we are independence from?
The war with enemies has ended since 70 years ago.
However the enemies who we are fighting with now are not from outside of Indonesia.
They're our own people.

We fight each other.
We can watch them at the news.
Fights here, terror there.
Terror?
Terror is not always about some group who threatened to put bomb or kill many people with biological weapons.
Terror is also when someone threatens other's freedom.
Free to live.
Free to study.
Free to work.
Free to believe in one faith without having the fear to have their place will burn down.

I had a small talk with my grandfather.
I asked him why he didn't put the national flag in front of his house like others?
He answered:" i didn't place our Red and White Flag because we are not yet free, not yet independence. I will have one, even to put it every single day, when we are really free."
He said then " we are still arguing and fighting each other, killing one another. We are still have the hatred feeling and prejudice one another. What kind of independence is that?"

So i am asking myself:" are we there yet?"

When will come the day when we really love one another, Respect each other believes and thoughts, Accept the differences and uniquenes,
Embrace the varsity of our nation ?
When will they stop doing violence?
When will the hatred and anger and fear gone?

Oh my dear country.
How i hope to be able someday to bravely and confidence to shout out: MERDEKA!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Parable of Pencil (By Dwijat Tustiono)

Why Should I Write?